The Vietnam visa overstay is granted for travelers who might forget the expiration date and have not left the country yet. How is a visa overstay in Vietnam? What should you do when your Vietnam visa is overstayed? How much is the penalty for overdue payment? Wolo Tours would like to cover these details in this article.
>>>> LEARN MORE: Vietnam Visa from UK: Types, Cost, Requirements, Policy
- 1. Who is overstaying?
- 2. What happens if you overstay in Vietnam?
- 3. How much is the fine for a Vietnam visa overstay?
- 4. How do I avoid overstaying a Vietnam visa in advance?
- 5. How to exit Vietnam if your visa is expired?
- 6. Can an overstay visa be extended?
- 7. How to extend the overstaying visa?
- 8. What to do if you lose your passport?
- 9. Frequently asked questions
1. Who is overstaying?
All visitors who are granted a Vietnam visa for tourist/business or those who enter Vietnam with visa exemption will be considered as overstaying if they stay in the country 1 day or more after the visa expiry date.
2. What happens if you overstay in Vietnam?
Overstaying a visa in Vietnam is a really bad idea because the penalty can be severe such as monetary fines, blacklisting, or deportation. Besides, you will never be able to come back to Vietnam in the future. According to the Immigration Law of Vietnam, the penalty of overstaying a visa varies, depending on the type of visa and specific circumstances.
3. How much is the fine for a Vietnam visa overstay?
The Vietnam visa overstay fine is charged by days if your overstaying is not too serious. However, if you are determined by the Vietnamese government that you have overstayed for a long time on purpose, and have repeated this several times, the punishment can be severe. According to the Vietnam Immigration Law and Circular 167, the sanctioning level is as follows :
- Overstaying less than 10 days: VND 1,250,000 (US$ 55)
- Overstaying for no more than 30 days (1 month): VND 4,000,000 (US$ 175)
- Overstaying from 1 month to less than 3 months: VND 10,000,000 VND (US$ 440)
- Overstaying for one year: more than VND 16,000,000 VND (US$ 700), along with deportation and prohibition to enter the country for a certain period.
Foreigners will have different penalties for overstaying their visas depending on the short or long-overdue period. You have to pay administrative fines with overdue penalty fees equivalent to the number of days to expire as above. In mild violation cases, you can continue to extend your visa to stay. By contrast, in case of severe violations, you will be forced to exit, deport, ban entry back for a definite or permanent period, and put on the blacklist.
>>>> READ MORE:
- Visa for Vietnam from UK: Types, Cost, Requirements, Policy
- [Official] Vietnam e-Visa application form | Guide to e-Visa in Vietnam
- Visa Requirements Vietnam 2022 | Travel to Vietnam
- Vietnam Visa Photo Requirements and Size in 2022
- Vietnam visa application form 2022 | Offline & Online form
4. How do I avoid overstaying a Vietnam visa in advance?
It is very necessary to avoid overstaying a Vietnam visa in the first place with the following tips:
- Check the expiry date on the visa stamps right at the airports. There are cases in which the officers give the wrong date on it. Therefore, you should make sure that your visa shows correct details, particularly valid dates.
- Take note of the last date of your Vietnam visa validity. Thus, always remind yourself of this crucial date to avoid possible fines or repercussions.
- If you would like to overstay beyond your visa’s expiration, you must apply for a Vietnam visa extension.
5. How to exit Vietnam if your visa is expired?
The most convenient way when you overstay is to pay a fine to the Immigration Officer at the airport when you exit the country if you just overstay for 1 or 2 days. However, it is not the best way to solve this issue because your passport will be marked by the officers with regards to the overstaying, which might affect your further visit to the country
6. Can an overstay visa be extended?
Immigration authorities are responsible for supporting foreigners in Vietnam when they overstay. However, with the strictness of the law, only those who provide an honest declaration with a good reason can be considered to support the extension and it will be allowed if the violations are not serious.
7. How to extend the overstaying visa?
If you got a problem with visa overstaying, you should immediately contact the visa agency for help. Wolo Tours team is always available in Hanoi or you can contact us to:
- Email support@Vietnamvisatourist.com
- Website https://vietnamvisatourist.com/
- Phone (+84) 918 21 2468.
There are only 3 main steps to get a Vietnam visa extension:
- Firstly, you must prepare the documents as prescribed by Vietnam Immigration Law
- Secondly, you will submit the document directly at the office of the Immigration Department – Ministry of Public Security and complete the visa extension application form.
- Finally, you will individually come back to the office on the day you have an appointment to pay some fees, sign the receipt and receive your visa extension.
8. What to do if you lose your passport?
If you lost your passport, you would instantly go to the local ward police office and fill in the Passport Lost Report to obtain confirmation sealed by them. After that, you need to contact your country’s Embassy or Consulate in Vietnam for renewing your passport. In case your country does not have an official Embassy in Vietnam, you should look for the nearest one in a neighboring country and ask for a diplomatic note.
>>>> DISCOVER MORE:
- Visa for Vietnam cost | How much is a visa to Vietnam?
- Vietnam Visa Approval Letter | Updated Details 2022
- Vietnam visa options | Types of Vietnamese visa 2022
- Vietnam visa extension 2021 | How to extend your Vietnam visa?
9. Frequently asked questions
There are some common questions that most visitors have asked several times that shall be answered in this post.
9.1 Visa overdue / visa correction in 2 days
Sometimes the Vietnam visa will last for 28 days, 30 days, or 31 days, depending on the number of days in that month. It is a fact that the visa will be valid from the current date in one month to the same date in the next month (For example of 09 Feb to 09 March). According to almost all travelers’ experiences, the fine for overstaying one day is about VND 500.000 (~ US$23/day) and you can go to the airport directly to pay for the fine and exit the country.
9.2 Overstay 1-year tourist visa for the US
With a tourist visa for US citizens, the maximum length for each stay is 90 days. If you want to stay in the country for a longer period, after each 90-day, you need to exit Vietnam and then re-enter or extend your visa. In this situation, you must go to the Immigration Office in your local and follow the procedure required by officials.
9.3 Overstay by 1-day or extension is better?
It is not a good idea to extend or renew your visa when the fine fee for overstaying (about 500,000 VND ~ 23 USD) is lower than the extension fee. Moreover, it takes several days to extend a Vietnam visa and the minimum extension duration is one month.
9.4 Vietnam visa overstay for 1 hour
The 15 days exemption includes the day of arrival and departure, no matter what the time of day is. An 8 pm arrival (or even an 11.55 pm one) is counted as the 1st day. If your flight departs at 00.30 on the 16th day, you just check-in before 11 o’clock on the 15th. In that way, you will not be fined for overstaying.
>>>> FINDING OUT MORE:
- Vietnam visa exemption: Form, fees, and certificates | 5-year
- Vietnam Transit Visa: Requirements, Regulations & Exemption
- Vietnam visa urgent | Apply Vietnam emergency visa online
This article has already updated you with some useful information about the Vietnam visa overstay. The Wolo Tours hope that all of you will have a good choice to avoid the penalty for overstaying and the agency is willing to support you any requirement by the following address:
- Address: 2nd floor No 02, Alley 232, Yen Hoa street, Cau Giay district, Hanoi, Viet Nam
- Website: https://vietnamvisatourist.com/
- Hotline: (+84) 918 21 2468
- Email: support@Vietnamvisatourist.com